Norwegian police are investigating a terrorist attack that could result in the death of five people using a bow and arrow.
Police in Kongsberg – a town 70km west of the capital Oslo – say there were “reasons for investigating such incidents and threats” after confirming the number of people killed and what officials said was the only person arrested.
They say two people have been seriously injured and are in hospital despite no serious injuries; one of these is an inactive police officer.
Norwegian police have temporarily ordered police to take up arms after an attack Wednesday night, highlighting the danger of the incident.
Police declined to comment further or speculate on the motive but confirmed that there was an altercation between the victim and police when the suspect fled, and issued warnings. “We have an open mind, and that it could be a threat,” local police chief Oyvind Aas told a news conference.
About half an hour later the killer passed through several locations in the town of 28,000 people, including the Co-op supermarket where an unemployed police officer was beaten.
Norway has been the scene of numerous terrorist attacks in recent years, including a youth uprising by the ruling Labor Party and government buildings in Oslo in 2011 that killed 77 people.
Prime Minister Erna Solberg, who is due to appear on Thursday earlier a change of government in Oslo, said Wednesday night: “These stories are terrible. Events shake us. I feel that many are afraid. That is why it is important to say that the police are in charge. ”
Jonas Gahr Store, a labor leader who won the election last month, said: “What we have heard in Kongsberg tonight confirms that the violence took place.”
The attack in Kongsberg, a university town and a Norwegian security house, came on the day the new left-wing government led by Labor issued its plan before being sworn in by the emperor on Thursday.
Kari Anne Sand, the mayor of Kongsberg, said: “This is the worst thing that has ever happened to us in Norway.”