In June 2019, Philippine police secretly staged a crackdown on two suspected drug dealers in Manila.
During the operation, officials said the suspects shot each other, shot one policeman in the neck and killed him. The suspects were also killed.
A three-year-old boy, the daughter of one of the suspects, was set on fire. He was hit in the head and later died in hospital. Police said he was used as a “human shield” by his father. But the girl’s mother disputed the report, saying her family had already fallen asleep after police opened fire, and that their husbands were unarmed. He later charged the police with murder.
Ronald dela Rosa was just sitting in his Senate seat when this happened. He has previously served as police chief of police Rodrigo Duterte and commander-in-chief of the war on drugs, which at the time had already left at least 6,600 people.
When asked about the code of conduct in the war on drugs and the death of an innocent child, for the first time this statement linked the Tagalog and English, “With an imperfect world… sh * t happens.
“If you are a police officer, do you really want your child to catch fire? Nothing. To be honest in wanting the best, the worst and the cheapest. ”
When the Senator was surprised on Friday, I called for him to run for President of the Philippines in 2022 30 minutes before the deadline, human rights groups warned of his human rights record and the sense of danger he represented.
Dela Rosa’s election shows “double the brutality” of the dead war inside “Duterte clique,” Carlos Conde of Human Rights Watch told Al Jazeera.
“There is a refusal to acknowledge the existence of a drug war problem,” he said, adding that the selection of the film ensures that he “protects himself from accountability” after winning the election.
“He wants to have some kind of insurance to protect himself after 2022.”
Conde also said that the anti-drug policy gives the Rosa region “political power” as a member of the ruling party.
“Other than that, not promising to continue the war on drugs would be a denial of Duterte’s principles. That’s why he stands.”
For a long time the movie has caused controversy.
In the past when the police were is accused of killing an unarmed teenager, dosa Rosa also defended her boys, saying that although this was “excessive”, the authorities did not deliberately kill a high school student. Three police officers were later charged with murder in connection with the death of a child in 2017.
The then police chief also challenged the 2018 Supreme Court’s order to release more information about war and other police activities, citing the security of the police officers involved.
Dela Rosa, who served briefly as the country’s prison warden, was criticized for telling prison guards to “be ready to kill” without intimidation by inmates, adding, “I hate cowards”.
In 2016, police officers under him were charged with the murder of a town mayor who had already been arrested on drug-related charges. Dela Rosa also issued a 2016 police warrant ordering “no interference” from suspected drug addicts in connection with the agency’s “Double Barrel” campaign against suspected suspects.
– Mike Navallo (@mikenavallo) August 11, 2021
‘Disregarding Human Rights’
Duterte’s war on drugs is now and subject searched at the International Criminal Court (ICC).
With the exception of Duterte, the only other officer mentioned specifically in the courtroom is the Rosa area.
Recent government reports released in June show that by the end of April 2021, police and other security forces have killed at least 6,117 people suspected of selling drugs while on duty. But government figures released by the UN in June 2020 have already shown at least 8,600 people.
Human rights groups estimate that the death toll could rise to between 27,000 and 30,000. They accuse the authorities of plotting to kill innocent people, including children.
Duterte has canceled the ICC investigation and promised to bar any prosecutors from entering the country.
An addition to this investigation is a brief description of the southern Davao, where Duterte had been mayor for several years. Dela Rosa was the chief of Davao police under the direction of Duterte from 2012 to 2013. Prior to that, he also worked for various police officers in Davao.
Duterte’s daughter, Sara Duterte-Carpio, is now leading the city, and some experts speculate that Rosa could be a warm chair because of their representation. Under the country’s electoral law, late registration is allowed until November 15 if the candidate leaves and replaces another person.
When the ICC investigation was announced in September, Dela Rosa responded to a Senate committee meeting, “Being a Filipino, I would rather be tried, tried, and tried in the Philippines instead of being tried, tried, and impaled in a foreign court.”
He failed to point out that the ICC in The Hague was abolishing heavy punishment, and the Philippines had abolished the practice.
Edre Olalia is the president of the National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL), a group that often represents victims. He told Al Jazeera that the election of the Rosa region “shows that it promotes respect, promotion and protection of human rights” in the Philippines.
“His background and attitude toward serious cases [of human rights violations], “indiscriminately and disrespectfully the way they respond to these cases at the ICC – which shows a lot in its politics,” Olalia said.
He adds that the election of Rosa “makes it clear that he wants to relinquish any responsibility even to the ICC”.
“Even if they don’t do anything [candidate], will still benefit if he becomes president, even if he is far from the state of affairs. But you do not know. ”
‘Despising this way’
Dela Rosa has not said she will step down from the title of Duterte-Carpio, but insists she is fit to be the country’s next president.
Shortly after calling for elections on Friday, the senator told reporters in Manila that he was aware that he had been elected president of the PDP-Laban party two hours before 5pm (09:00 GMT).
“That is an idea. Because if you make an early announcement, then you will be the first target again. That’s why we kept the covers, ”he explained.
But when asked if he wanted to tolerate Duterte-Carpio, he replied, “Well, that’s fine too. This is a party idea. It’s not my choice.”
In an exclusive interview on Monday, Dela Rosa said that since “Duterte-Carpio’s success is too high”, she is “willing to forfeit her opportunity if people don’t want me to be the best”.
Responding to Dosa Rosa’s remarks, the Karapatan rights group said the senate’s idea “despised” the election.
In his remarks at Al Jazeera, Karapatan also referred to the announcement as “an unashamed process that we are well aware of as just being chased out of Duterte’s playbook” when he ran for president in 2016.
“There are some serious plots that could happen in the coming days and months. We cannot ignore the opportunity for Sara Duterte to become president instead [dela Rosa], or as vice president of Marcos Jr., ”the group added, referring to the son of the last dictator, Ferdinand Marcos, who is also running for president.
Olalia, President of the NUPL, also added that if it was proven that Rosa was competing with another man, it would show “shameless disregard for the rights fought for generations”.
“He looks like a game and not a political game. He’s playing tricks on us.”
With the exception of dela Rosa, those who have announced their intention to run for president include an opposition leader, Vice President Lenny RobredoSenator Manny Pacquiao, Manila Mayor Isko Moreno and former Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
Another well-known friend in Duterte, Foreign Secretary Ernesto Abella, has also announced his candidacy for the presidency. Abella became a Duterte prophet before she was appointed to a foreign office.