World News

Canada to release more dormitory school documents: Report | Issues of Human Rights

Warning: The article below contains details of boarding schools that can be frustrating. Canada’s Indian Residential School Survivors and Family Crisis Line is available 24 hours a day at 1-866-925-4419.

The Canadian government is issuing thousands of unspecified tens of thousands of related information boarding school system, Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations in the country Marc Miller he tells Globe and Mail.

The newspaper said Monday that the list will be handmade at the National Center for Truth and Reconciliation, a research and education organization at the University of Manitoba in central Canada.

Miller told the Globe that banning the document violates Ottawa’s “ethical duty” to school survivors, who forced more than 150,000 First Nations, Inuit and Metis children to travel to Canada throughout the late 19th and 1990s.

The children were stripped of their language and culture, separated from their siblings, and subjected to emotional, physical, and sexual abuse.

Thousands of people are believed to have died on the way home – and the discovery of more than 1,200 undisclosed cemeteries this year in a number of former schools has led many to sing to reveal the truth. seek to answer of what happened.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he promised financial assistance and other assistance to the community to locate unidentified graves and to deal with potential problems.

The federal commission of inquiry, known as the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC), declared in 2015 that Canadian schools in which people live were “cultural killings”.

The Native Women’s Association of Canada received Monday’s report on the release of state history, calling it the “biggest step towards Truth and Reconciliation”.

The Canadian government “has recognized that concealing thousands of school documents from undisclosed dormitories violates Ottawa’s ‘duty’ to survivors. Now we need to disclose all the details of the Catholic Church, ”he said he wrote on Twitter.

The Globe and Mail reports that reports from the state public school have been submitted in 30 to 45 days.

Miller said it had not previously been revealed “because of the third status” to Catholic institutions. Although the Canadian government established boarding schools, the Catholic Church maintained a number of schools.

“We need to work with Catholic institutions to secure the detention of survivors,” the minister told the newspaper.

A search operation is under way in former Canadian schools where unidentified graves were found this year [File: Cole Burston/AFP]

Leaders and survivors of dormitories have called on the Catholic Church to release their manuscripts from the dormitories, and call on Pope Francisco sorry as a result of the atrocities committed in church-run organizations. To date, no apology has been offered.

News of the release of federal government history comes back as representatives of Inuit, Metis and First Nation waiting meeting with Pope at Vatican later this month.

“The journey to healing and reconciliation is long, but we believe this will be an important step in the Catholic Church’s commitment to reorganizing, strengthening and reconciling relations with Indians throughout the country,” Raymond Poisson, president of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, said. meetings from 17 to 20 December.

Some boarding school survivors are wanting However, more than an apology.

“I want the pope to give me a plan,” Dakota principal and boarding school survivor Wanbdi Wakita, of the Sioux Valley Dakota Nation, recently told CBC News. Wakita was tortured in two Manitoba-based schools for eight years, a Canadian broadcaster said.

“These are all mistakes, how do you fix those mistakes? Put it on paper and sign it, ”he said.


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button